Friday 1 November 2013

The Great Alphonso (5.6%) by Magic Rock and Brodie`s


`Same but different` is the motto of Huddersfield ale heroes Magic Rock and this beer is a case in point. For me, Magic Rock are modern masters of pale hoppy ales but this one is a bit different.

The aroma is very attractive, massive wafts of citrus are an irresistible invite to this golden Mango Pale Ale. Citra is one of my favourite hops so I knew this would be good but the fruity mango and balanced bitterness take this brew to another level. 2013 seems to have been the year of the craft ale collaboration (although this one first appeared last year, I believe) and many have failed to impress but teaming up with East London`s Brodie`s has resulted in a truly Magical American-style pale ale.

This brew was supped at The Grove in Huddersfield and the carbonation, an aspect I sometimes struggle with, was spot on. Alphonso was my beer of the night ahead of, amongst others, Marble`s Barley Wine (10.7%) and Hawkhead`s IPA (7%) both of which were just too alcohol dominated for this punter`s palate. The much weaker Seasider (4.3%) by Gadds way off the mark for me or maybe it was just another example of how English hops come up well short against their stateside counterparts. Same but definitely different!


Mike`s Score - 9

No comments:

Post a Comment